Howard Bank works to create a positive impact on the communities we serve. As Baltimore's largest independently owned bank, we take a community-centered approach to everything we do in the city that we call home and our neighboring communities.
Howard Bank sponsors local and regional events and organizations where our employees and customers live, work and play. Philanthropy has been an important part of our core values since our founding.
Since 2004, Howard Bank has served the financial needs of families and businesses and families in Baltimore, throughout Maryland. Through our sponsorship programs and partnerships, we’re dedicated to helping make life better for people in our local communities. We meet monthly to review all community investments submissions received.
Howard Bank’s main focus in philanthropy and sponsorships are:
- Workforce Development – Howard Bank will support those not for profit organizations that are leaders in job creation initiatives, workforce training and retraining programs and impactful business-to-business activity that promotes workforce development.
- Arts and Culture – Howard Bank has a proud history of support for the arts. Companion with jobs for our citizens, the arts contribute significantly to community pride.
Additional Consideration: The Committee will also consider opportunities where:
- The non-profit organization is a Howard Bank customer or there is a strong likelihood that a new banking relationship can be formed.
- Organizations in which Howard Bank employees are involved as a member of the Board of Directors, as a volunteer or other engagement.
- Where a favorable return on investment can be demonstrated.
Volunteering for community improvement
Howard Bank employees support community projects by offering their skills and time to help make a difference. By volunteering where we live and work, we’re strengthening our communities for the future.
Supporting those in need
As part of our corporate citizenship, we focus on understanding and supporting the needs of our local communities. Together with local businesses and nonprofit organizations, we provide funding and support for those in need, for emergencies or ongoing assistance
The Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) is a federal law encouraging banks to help meet the credit needs of all segments of their local communities, including low- and moderate-income neighborhoods and people. At Howard Bank, we’re committed to our CRA obligations. Our approach focuses on:
- Lending: Personal loans, commercial and small business lending, credit cards and mortgages
- Services: Accessibility to consumers through our branches and ATMs, financial literacy and other outreach programs, and community lending programs
- Investment: Development in local Baltimore communities and surrounding areas through partnerships with dozens of local agencies throughout Maryland
We belong to BLocal, a group of Baltimore-area businesses committed to local community development. BLocal members build, hire, invest and buy locally to create lasting opportunities for Baltimoreans, particularly women and minorities. Examples of our commitments include:
- Build: We partner with BLocal companies to create a contractors’ college to support growing Baltimore-based contractors.
- Hire: We provide business education on financial literacy, resume writing and business plan development to local residents to support their career development.
- Buy: We hold all corporate events and investor meetings in Baltimore City, using local vendors and venues.
Find out how you can get involved with BLocal.