We offer all the types of mortgages you’d expect to find at a big bank — delivered with small-bank friendliness. Your Howard Bank mortgage loan specialist will spend plenty of time helping you compare loan options. After all, just like all the homes you’ve visited, mortgages can vary significantly in price, size and features.
Whether you’re buying or refinancing, you start by choosing the type of loan you want. Most types come with either a fixed rate or an adjustable rate. With a fixed-rate mortgage, your interest rate remains the same throughout your loan term. With an adjustable-rate mortgage, your interest rate may go up or down at set intervals.
Mortgage loan choices include:
- Conventional: A conventional loan is the most common type of mortgage. You’ll make a down payment (as low as 3% of your home’s purchase price) and pay closing costs. You’ll need excellent credit to qualify for the lowest possible interest rate.
- Construction-to-permanent: Are you building a new home? This type of mortgage can roll your lot purchase, construction costs and ongoing mortgage into a single loan.
- Government-guaranteed: These options are special, government-backed loans intended for certain types of buyers. They include loans from the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Veterans Affairs (VA). Get details on the differences between FHA, USDA and VA mortgages.
- Other special programs: Your loan officer can help determine if you’re eligible for any other loan options. One example is the Maryland Mortgage Program (MMP), which helps residents under certain income limits with their down payments.
MORE HOME MORTGAGE HELP
We do much more than just help you secure a home loan. We can help you find special financing programs that may save you thousands of dollars. We can also help you better understand the mortgage process and its specialized language.
- Homebuyer grants: Special financial help may be available if you’re a first-time homebuyer, purchase a home in a certain neighborhood or work in selected community service professions. Find out if you’re eligible for any homebuyer grants.
- Important mortgage terms: The home loan process includes lots of specialized lingo you may not have heard before. Learn definitions of important mortgage terms.